INFORMATION ABOUT COOKIES
WHAT IS A COOKIE?
A cookie is a small and harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any website. A cookie allows the web to remember each visit you make to the website.
Cookies usually store technical information, personal preferences, personalized content, usage statistics, social network links, user account access, etc.
A cookie’s objective is to adapt the website content to your profile and needs, without cookies services offered by any website would be notably depleted. Even though most people do not know, cookies have been used over the last 20 years, when the first World Wide Web browsers appeared.
WHAT IS NOT A COOKIE?
It is not a virus, a Trojan, a worm, spam, spyware nor it opens pop-up windows.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES A COOKIE STORE?
Cookies usually do not store sensitive information about yourself, such as credit cards or banking information, pictures or personal information, etc. Stored data is technical information, personal preferences, personalized content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, it associates your browser. Actually, if you often browse using Internet Explorer and try to browse the same website with Firefox or Chrome, you will see that the website does not recognize you are the same person because it is associating the browser, not the person.
WHAT TYPES OF COOKIES EXIST?
Based on its objective
- Technical cookies: Allow the user to browse and use different options and services that rely on it, such as traffic control and data communication, session identification, access to restricted sections, store elements ordered online, event registration, utilize security elements, share content in social media, etc.
- Personalization cookies: Allow the user to access the service with some predefined features that follow a series of criteria such as language, type of browser, regional configuration, etc.
- Analysis cookies: Allow the follow up and behavior analysis of the users. Gathered information is used to measure the activity in websites, apps or platforms, as well as for the browsing profile elaboration of the users to make improvements.
- Advertising cookies: Show publicity according to browsing patterns, country, language, etc.
Based on who does the management
- First party cookies: Managed by the website that is being browsed, despite they were installed by an external service.
- Third party cookies: Managed and generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
Based on its duration
- Session cookies: Temporary cookies remain in the cookie file of your browser until you abandon the website, therefore no cookie is registered in the hard drive of the user. The information gathered with this type of cookies, is used to analyze traffic trends in the web. In long term, this allows to give a better experience by improving the content and ease of use.
- Permanent cookies: These are stored in the hard drive and our website read them every time you make a new visit to the website. A permanent cookie has an expiration date and will stop working after this date. We use them, mostly, to facilitate shopping services. These cookies are generated by the website that you are visiting and the third party cookies are generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
CAN COOKIES BE DELETED?
Yes. At any time you have the right to delete the cookies of this website, as well as block generally or particularly for a specific domain.
What happens if I deactivate cookies?
We will show you some examples for you to understand the implications of deactivating cookies:
- You will not be able to share content from that website to Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the content to your personal preferences.
- The website will not be able to create statistics regarding visitors and traffic, which will limit the website competitiveness.
- The website will not be able to recognize if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- Segmented publicity will not be shown, which will reduce advertisement income for the web.